On 16 June 2023, a workshop was held at the NBU within the Fable project, in which two main topics were presented:
1. Led by Assoc. Prof. Yana Dvoretska, the project team and the young participants entered the world of natural fabric dyeing, where bright hues came to life through leaves, roots, colors, etc. Together we all discovered the beauty and power of natural dyes while using both ancient and modern techniques that allowed us to experience the true potential of natural dyeing from nature. We learned how to create eco-friendly masterpieces using locally sourced materials, reducing our carbon footprint while getting closer to the art of sustainable fashion.
2. Jewellery made from natural materials. Under the expert guidance of Hon. Prep. Eugenia Tsankova we learned some of the secrets of making exquisite jewelry using materials donated by Mother Nature herself. We used a number of natural elements such as seeds, shells, stones and fibers, which we turned into unique ornaments. We also learned techniques that highlight the beauty of these materials while embracing their sustainable and ethical aspects.
Here's exactly what happened:
- We gained a deeper understanding and skills of the environmental impact of conventional fabric dyeing processes and the importance of using natural dyes. We also learned about the environmental importance of using natural materials in jewellery making.
- We developed our creative skills as we explored the limitless possibilities of using natural dyes and materials to create unique and expressive fashion pieces. We experimented, combined colours and designed our own fabric and jewellery patterns.
- This workshop encouraged a shift in our mindset towards sustainable fashion practices. We gained a deeper understanding of the impact of the fashion industry on the environment and the importance of conscious consumption. We all made the decision together to make more informed fashion and lifestyle choices from now on.
- We have built a community who share our passion for sustainable fashion. The networking opportunities and discussions have fostered collaboration, idea sharing and continued support for each of our sustainable fashion journeys.
The results of our work in the workshop inspired us to start acting as agents of change towards a more sustainable and conscious fashion industry that respects both nature and human creativity.